It was a miracle that I even managed to get this right the first time round. My resources were limited you see. My cupboard seemed bare, I refused to dip into my extra funds to buy more food, as I have placed myself on a budget and a strict diet of use what you have and stop being wasteful. The kids had had a fun day of mini golf, had enjoyed the fresh air, and were now sitting comfortably on the couch, awaiting something to eat. A snack to hold them till dinner would arrive. So, I went hunting. One banana on the counter, and a desperate dig in my backpack for the banana we had dragged to a picnic and back the day before, we were on our way. Showered with luck and creativity, coconut oil sat in the cupboard, a cup of chia seed in a ziplock, 1/2 an apple in the fridge, 1 cup of coconut sugar to last the week, 1/4 cup of desiccated coconut , and a small ziplock of barley flour, the magic happened. I was certain this would go down in history as the most interesting baked good any desperate person could make, but alas, I was wrong. Instead, the house filed with the smell of bananas and coconut, warmed by the gentle kiss of the sun. It was soft and moist. The chewiness of the coconut was subtle and blissful. We were left with only one word. MORE!
2 – ripe bananans
1/2 – an apple
1/4 cup – desiccated coconut
1/2 cup – coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon – baking soda
3 tablespoons – chia seeds
2 tablespoons – unrefined coconut oil
1 1/2 barley flour ( you can substitute with any flour you wish)
1 cup of water
- Pre heat oven to 410 degrees Fahrenheit or 210 degrees celsius
- Place chia seeds, banana, sugar, and apple in a blender and puree.
- place coconut oil and baking soda in bowl and mix well.
- add banana chia see mixture, and mix well
- add flour and coconut, mix well
- finally add water. Mix well.
- Oil loaf pan with oil, place mixture in pan and place in oven until brown. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place loaf on cooling rack. Once cool slice, and enjoy!