Ah, coconut bliss. It’s morning tea time and all you really want is a little pick me up and a smoothie that will leave you feeling refreshed and healthy all at the same time. You reach for the little health snack you bought at the health food shop. You know it’s health because it’s organic, gluten free, and high in protein. It’s not too big, not as filling, but it will do, cause you know it’s healthy. You couldn’t have this every day though, because the price tag per square will see you paying upwards of $3-$4, which will pretty much send you into poordum by weeks end. So what do you do? Well, make it yourself really. Stop denying the hippy in you, it’s need to make everything at home and just get on with it. Yes, it may be a disaster the first 5 times but you can be comforted in knowing the it cost less than buying 7 of those bars. So you give it one last go, because well, you are deep in now and there is no turning back, and you nail it!
As you take your first bite, you taste every single flavor, and your taste buds are not confused, but excited about the next mouthful. Chewy with a hit of crunchiness it fills you bite after bite after bite. You chase it with a warm cup of tea, at which point you are content. You could have another, and not feel guilty for it.
Be sure to use your bulk bins as much as possible as this will save you a lot more money than buy individual pre packed. With bulk bins you buy only what you need with smaller chance of wastage.
What you will need:
1/4 cup shelled unsalted pistachios
1/2 cup of walnuts
1 cup Brazilian nuts
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup desiccated coconut
10 dried figs
2 table spoons olive oil
2 table spoon maple syrup
1 table spoons blackstap molasses
1. set your oven to 400 F
2. place nuts in a food processor, blender or hand blender cup and blend into a meal. Don’t make it prefect, some chopped chunks are good!
3. Empty into a bowl, add desiccated coconut, and mix well
4. cut figs into thin or thick slices, mix well
5. add wet ingredients and mix well
6. spread into a square baking pan, to desired thickness. Do not use baking sheet. the heat from the pans metal on the bottom will help toast from underneath.
7. Place in oven for 7 mins – 10min do not turn on candy crush or your food will burn. Stay close by
8. Remove pan from oven. Let Stand for 1 -2 mins. Using a sharp knife, cut columns and rows tables into your bake. Do not remove. Leave to completely cool.
9. No go over your lines again and separate individual squares. Store in container in fridge for extra firmness and enjoy daily